scroll_to_top.svg

The Parish church of Marinasco: breathtaking terrace over the Gulf of Poets

The Parish church of Santo Stefano, founded on the splendid hill of Marinasco, dates back to 950 and was conceived as a hospitable place along an ancient path and indicated a sign of help to the traveler in search of food and shelter.  The site is located along an ancient Roman route that connected the Magra Valley  to the Vara Valley, then continuing towards Gaul, today’s known as France.

The square of Marinasco, paved with sandstone slabs and equipped with antique benches and street lamps, is one of the most evocative viewpoints, open to the town of La Spezia and its splendid Gulf of Poets. The parish is one of the five oldest that overlooks the Gulf: Ameglia, Trebbiano, Baccano of Arcola, San Venerio and Marinasco. They were ancient territorial units of pre-Roman Ligurian origin called “pagus”, later replaced in the Christian era by parish churches.

The whole north-central and western part of the Gulf of Poets was part of the parish of Marinasco, whose fortified village was located in the ancient castle of Vesigna, in the current Forte Castellazzo; the outlet to the sea of ​​Marinasco was the inlet of San Vito of Marola, an ancient settlement evidenced by the archaeological findings that emerged during the nineteenth-century excavations for the construction of the basins of the Military Arsenal.

Of particular architectural importance on the church building is the external lateral portal on the west side, with an arch carved in local sandstone, embellished in 1984 by a bronze bas-relief representing the martyrdom of Saint Stephen, the work of the sculptor Pietro Ravecca. To the right of the portal there is a capital of the oldest church, excavated with the function of a holy water stoup. Inside, the splendid baptismal font dates back to 1436, as the rite of baptism, at that time, was exclusively reserved to parish churches. The ceiling is decorated with frescoes from 1875, while the organ was built in 1822 by the Mentasti brothers.

Currently, works of restoration and consolidation of the church structures have been proceeding for years, considering the precarious state of geological stability of the hill on which it was built, but further funding from the institutions will be required to carry out the total recovery of this historic building, so fundamental for the millenary history of our territory.

See also

13 octubre 2021

Creuza de Ma: seaside mule track

ver

1 abril 2021

Loop San Terenzo – La Serra – Rocchetta – Zanego – Lerici

ver

13 diciembre 2020

The Parish church of Marinasco: breathtaking terrace over the Gulf of Poets

ver

6 noviembre 2020

L’Antro del Corchia: the jewel of the Apuan Alps

ver

23 octubre 2020

The Monterosso’s lemons’ festival

ver

11 octubre 2020

The origins of the Via dell’Amore

ver

21 abril 2020

Lerici and San Terenzo: the bay of the english

ver

27 marzo 2020

Vernazza: on the waterfront

ver

7 diciembre 2019

Corniglia: a terrace on the sea

ver

8 septiembre 2019

The path 436: from Montemarcello to Punta Corvo beach

ver

22 abril 2019

The anchovies of Monterosso

ver

3 diciembre 2018

The Via Francigena: walking in the history

ver

18 septiembre 2018

The path n. 508: from Vernazza to Reggio

ver

2 mayo 2018

Portovenere: splendid pearl on the sea!

ver

11 enero 2018

Montereggio: a village of booksellers and publishers

ver

15 noviembre 2017

From Lerici to Bocca di Magra with the Liguria Trail (SL)

ver

13 agosto 2017

The island of Palmaria

ver

14 marzo 2017

Sciacchetrail 2017 – Third Edition

ver

24 enero 2017

Tellaro: the pearl of the Gulf of Poets

ver

20 noviembre 2016

From Vernazza to Riomaggiore via sanctuaries

ver

Ver todos
los articulos

Descubra nuestro B&B en el corazón del Parque Nacional Cinque Terre

En el pueblo de Volastra, ofrecemos habitaciones dobles, triples, cuádruples y apartamentos con desayuno servido en nuestra terraza con impresionante vista al mar.

B&B "Il Vigneto
Cinque Terre"